Every year I read my class a book called, "Piper Reed: Navy Brat". The little girl in the story has a dad who is in the Navy and they have to move around a lot. Piper's goal is to spread the phrase "Get off the Bus" to all 50 states. It's her fancy way of saying, "No Way!" When I read it to my class I have them count how many times she says it in the book. They get a kick out of it :).
I'm not really sure why I like this book so much- maybe because my dad has been in the Army my whole life...guess I feel some sort of connection to Piper :).
I've been thinking a lot about the military lately. Probably because we just said goodbye to my dad and brother, who are both being deployed to Iraq for a year.
My dad and brother
This isn't the first time they've been over that way. The last time my dad was there I was a Senior in High School. It's been almost 10 years- now it's my little sister who is the Senior in High School. My little brother served in Iraq around 4 years ago...before he was married and had 2 little kids.
Jared and his sweet wife Amanda and darling kids Brodie and Brooke
I love this pic! Jared and Brodie :)
The week before they left our entire family got together for a BBQ. We talked, reminisced and laughed until we cried, remembering the crazy adventures we've had as a family...like the time we were cutting down our Christmas tree and our van almost got swept away in an icy river...or the time we went canoeing and almost went careening down a raging river of death :). Good times!
It was a bittersweet weekend. I loved that we were were all there together, but hated that we were there to say goodbye. I don't think any of us wanted to see the night end. I am grateful for my wonderful family! Thanks for serving Dad and Jared! I love you both!
Friday, June 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I'm so thankful for your dad and your brother and all your family for the sacrifices you all make. THANK YOU!!!
I found your blog through an internet search on Piper Reed Navy Brat. Thank you for reading my book to your students. That means a lot to me.
May your dad and brother return home safely soon.
All the best to you,
Kimberly Willis Holt
Post a Comment